Tuesday, December 4, 2012

The Importance of Water - how much should I be drinking?

Water! We all know that keeping hydrated is vital for life. I had no idea that for most of my life I was not drinking enough water necessary to stay healthy. When I was on Weight Watchers about 4 or 5 years ago, they recommended drinking 9 cups of water a day, but I thought this was completely unnecessary and dismissed it right away. I probably just had a glass or 2 of water a day. I didn't really start drinking enough water until I got serious about losing weight. Personally, I just started drinking more water because I felt like I was flushing all toxins out of my body, like a water detox. But who knows, maybe this is all in my head. I do have to say that drinking water has made me feel a lot better especially with my caffeine addiction. I feel much less headachy and I have more energy.

MY HINTS:
I carry around a Nalgene bottle and I have it on my at all times. This plastic water bottle can carry up to 32 oz of water at a time and I try to fill it up 2 or 3 times during the day. Having the bottle on me is a constant reminder to keep drinking. I like to tell my friends "I am overly hydrated!" I would not recommend drinking all this water at once, but instead space it out all through your day. Not only will you feel it sloshing around in your stomach and become overly full, but you will be constantly running to the bathroom and that is never fun. I may have learned that from experience. Who would have known that I was such an inexperienced water drinker? Water can help suppress your hunger, so when you're just in a "munchy" mood and you know you just ate a meal, drink some water! But how much water are you really supposed to be drinking a day? 


According to the Mayo Clinic, women should be drinking about 9 cups of water a day and men should be drinking about 13 cups of water a day! I was right about flushing toxins out! Check out this article to see more benefits of water:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283

No comments:

Post a Comment