Saturday, December 8, 2012

Motivation - it can be hard

Today I weighed in at Jenny Craig, as I do every week, and found out I am up .8 of a pound. I knew that I would be up today because I've been recently lacking motivation. I have a lot to get done in school this week because it is the dreaded week before finals. I'm not going to deny it, I am definitely one to stress eat or eat out of boredom. This past week consisted of me sitting in front of my TV and eating a Jenny Craig snack followed by a delicious brown sugar snickerdoodle cookie my roommate and I made. Jenny would not be proud. When I first started losing weight, the pounds were just shedding off of me, 5 pounds after 5 pounds and 42 pounds later. . . it's a pound here and .5 there. I notice I lack motivation most when I lose more. Weird huh? I reason with myself that it is okay to have a cookie because I've lost so much already. NO! Now I know this is not true because in order to lose weight I must be consistent. I did not even want to write this post, but I think it could be comforting to those who struggle with motivation and maybe also help me! I don't want to hide behind my diet and I want people to see that this is far from easy.
Everyone finds their motivation from different places. I found that my motivation comes from myself. No one can tell me how to eat and even though I do have a consultant at Jenny, she does not spark my motivation, I do! One thing that gets under my skin most is when I make one bad food choice and someone (my mom or dad) gets on my case about it. That is not what I need.



MY HINTS (WHAT MOTIVATES ME MOST):
1. Positive Feedback- My friends from California saw me for the first time over Thanksgiving Break. Having them tell me how good I look and how proud they are of me really motivates me. When telling me not to eat something, it is just more negative feedback that I don't need to hear.
2. Get a Scale- I used to hide from scales. Whenever I had to get weighed at the doctor's office, I would look away and tell them not to tell me. When I finally invested in a scale, I could not hide. I weigh myself every day, even though I have been told not to because your weight will go up and down throughout the week. Your body will constantly fluctuate throughout the day about 2-3 pounds, so weigh yourself in the morning. I think it is really important to be aware of your weight.
3. Clothes- Before losing any weight, what I was excited about most was being able to wear cute clothes. Now I am down 2 whole pant sizes! Also, throw away your clothes once they are too big on you because you want to reassure yourself that you will NEVER be that weight again. 
4. Make a Short Term Goal- At Jenny, I have gotten in the habit of making a short term goal. My current goal is to lose 5 pounds before Vegas. A short term goal does not need to be a certain amount of pounds you want to lose, it can consist of going to the gym 3 times a week. 
5. Make a Long Term Goal Weight- Right now, my goal weight is 130 pounds. I am hoping to be around 130 pounds by summer. 
6. Make a List of Your Goals- When you make a list, look at it every week! This will remind you of what you are working towards.
7. Hang a Cute Shirt in your Closet- When you have to look at what your goal is, this may help motivate you. I have a drawer full of clothes from a few years ago that I can't wait to fit in. 

Just found this awesome article on how to stay motivated! I think I might utilize some of these ideas! Check it out:
http://ten-pounds-down.fitsugar.com/50-Ways-Stay-Motivated-Weight-Loss-13289463


No comments:

Post a Comment