Sunday, December 2, 2012

Exercise - my struggle

A big part of dieting is exercising! This is probably my biggest struggle when it comes to losing weight. Speaking of losing weight, I weighed in at Jenny Craig and from last week I lost a total of (drum roll please. . .) 3 pounds! I usually go through phases where I am super motivated and will go workout every day of the week. Unfortunately, I have been lacking all motivation to work out recently, so I know how hard this can be! I have felt pretty under control with my eating but still haven't mastered the exercise portion. When I am exercising, I usually try and go to the gym 4 times a week. At the gym I usually do 30 min on the elliptical, 15 min of ab workouts, and 15 min of weights (I alternate between legs and arms). However, I sometimes lack motivation to go to the gym. A great way to find motivation is going to workout classes! I absolutely love cardio-kickboxing. Did you know that you can burn up to 500-800 calories in one hour of cardio-kickbox?
I am going to Vegas with some friends January 2nd. I really want to look good in my dresses, so even though I am lacking the motivation, I've been doing a 5 minute ab workout before I go to bed each night just to tighten up a little bit. I usually just do 50 standard sit ups, 50 side crunches, and 5 sets that workout my upper abdominal. 

Here's a website with Top 10 Most Effective Ab Exercises! I have done quite a few of these and they really work! Unfortunately, some you do need equipment for so you can't do all of them in the luxury of your own home. 

MY HINTS:
Go to a workout class and find a friend! If you are lacking that motivation, this is a great way to get back into the workout mode. I love classes because they usually have great music and the time just seems to go a lot faster than being on an elliptical for 30 minutes staring at a TV or listening to my iPod. I know some people might be embarrassed to exercise in front of people, but everyone is so focused in these classes and trying to keep up that no one notices. Definitely bringing a friend along can be even more motivational. This is how I learned a lot of my favorite ab workouts. My friends and I love to bounce different workout ideas off of each other and even though they're not always easy, we struggle through them together. Having a friend or a trainer help you through a class can be very enriching. I am actually thinking of getting a personal trainer once I graduate this May.

Do small things: (These are things I need to work on!) When parking at the grocery store or going shopping, park your car at the back of the parking lot - every step counts. When sitting around watching TV, get up, walk around, do jumping jacks or squats between commercials. If you have access to weights in your house, even if they are only a couple pounds, lift some weights! The woman who helps me at Jenny Craig keeps telling me to go out and buy a couple of weights. I really need to do this and start taking my own advice. 

When working out, it is always important to have good shoes so you have the proper support and don't strain anything. These are my workout shoes but I have pink laces :) These shoes are awesome and so comfortable they are the Nike in Season Trainer. It comes with a Nike comfort footbed and it feels like you're stepping on a cloud. Would recommend these to anyone! 

Effect of Exercise Duration and Intensity on Weight Loss in Overweight, Sedentary Women in The Journal of the American Medical Association concludes "The current study showed that all levels of exercise that were prescribed resulted in significant improvements in cardiorespiratory fitness [. . . ] Moreover, participants randomized to vigorous exercise intensity did not have greater weight loss than those randomized to a similar dose of exercise performed at moderate intensity."

Many people are wondering if working out really makes a difference in a diet. There is a rumor that purely dieting without exercise is a better way to lose weight. According to this article, you can lose weight without exercise if you cut out 500 calories from your diet each day. In order to even lose one pound you must burn at least 3500 calories. You are perfectly able to lose weight without exercise, but overall the balance between the two is the healthiest weight loss plan.
http://www.livestrong.com/article/395259-eating-less-vs-exercising-eating-same-amount-for-weight-loss/

No comments:

Post a Comment