Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Eating Out - "how to" guide

Yesterday, my roommate's nonprofit, HOLA foundation, was having an event at one of the local Boulder restaurants for Colorado Gives Day. It was at one of my favorite mexican restaurants, The Rio Grande. Unfortunately, at most mexican restaurants they have unlimited chips and salsa. This is my weakness. If I could live off of one snack food for the rest of my life it would be chips: potato, tortilla, any kind, so I know how hard it can be eating out. I am not wonder woman; I still have temptations and I still need to work really hard to reach my final goal weight of 130 pounds.
I had a really hard time eating at The Rio yesterday because I kept munching on chips and salsa. After being at The Rio for three hours I somehow managed to have 1/2 a basket of chips, shrimp tacos, a margarita, and 2 beers. Now I consider this one of my less successful days, but that does not mean I can't pick myself up and eat healthy today. Today I've been really good with sticking to my Jenny Craig because I still have that motivation to look hot in Vegas. Even though I did not do my best with eating out yesterday, I did make a couple of changes to my meal. I did not eat the rice on my plate or eat one of my tortillas. I figured I did not need the extra carbs after eating so many chips. I also had grilled vegetables instead of beans. I have had plenty of times when I've eaten out and been completely under control, so it really is not that difficult. It was those darn chips!

MY EATING OUT HINTS:
There are so many different types of food, so it is difficult to tell you exactly how you should eat when you go out. Personally, I LOVE sushi. Jenny Craig only has one fish item, so I crave sushi almost all the time. When I go out to sushi I get about 3-4oz (a deck of card size) of sashimi. You can get any kind you want,  but I usually get salmon or tuna. Then I get miso soup, but keep in mind that it is very salty so you may bloat a bit. I also get edamame and ask for no salt. I'm pretty satisfied when I leave the sushi restaurant and I don't feel hungry.

Other quick tips: 
1. When going out to any restaurant I would try and split a meal with a friend. Most restaurants give you way bigger portions than you need. 
2. When eating meat, stick to about a 3 finger size or deck of card size. 
3. It's okay to have carbs, just choose the one carb on your plate that you want! If you want mashed potatoes or rice, stick to about 1/2 a cup (this is usually 1/2 the portion they serve you at restaurants).
4. When getting a salad, try to choose one with a low fat dressing and with non starchy vegetables and always get your dressing on the side. When I get my dressing on the side, I dip my fork into the dressing and then stick it in the salad. This way, I don't overload on dressing and the bonus is I get a taste of dressing with every bite.
5. Try to shy away from things on the menu that have cream sauces. 
6. Order first! If you order first, you are less tempted by what others around you are ordering. 
7. When you know you have eaten enough, put gross stuff on your food. . . seriously! I usually salt and pepper my food like crazy when I am done, so I am not tempted to munch on my food while my plate is still in front of me.

When you know where you are going to eat: 
If you can, look up the nutrition facts online and plan ahead what you want! I know not all restaurants post their calories, but if you can find it, this is a really helpful tool. In California, restaurants are required to post calories and have them available, so it's really easy when I am back visiting my family at home. In Colorado it is not required, so I do have more difficulty when it comes to finding nutrition facts here. 

Eating out breakfast: 
Breakfast is my all time favorite meal! When I go out, I always replace my hash browns or potatoes with a fruit cup. I usually get an egg white scramble with veggies or an egg white omelette with veggies and no cheese. It's still delicious, I promise!



Overall, don't deprive yourself! You can still get what you want. It's mainly portion control and making the healthy changes to your meal, making substitutions is important. 

For more tips on how to eat healthy at restaurants check out this site!

No comments:

Post a Comment