Friday, December 21, 2012

Christmas Cookies - the healthy way



Now that Christmas is right around the corner, I've been trying to find healthy recipes for the holidays. This is the first Christmas I've been trying to eat well, so it took awhile to find a cookie recipe that I thought was healthy and tasty. When I weighed in at Jenny Craig today (after losing another 2 pounds), I found out there is a Jenny Craig website with a lot of great recipes! I decided to try out the Chocolate Chip-Strawberry Thumbprint Cookies because I thought this would be a good substitution for alternative sugary Christmas cookies. Earlier today I actually made cookies for a friend that had 2 sticks of butter, about 3 cups of sugar, and 2 cups of flour! I know I could not keep those in my house because that would just be dangerous! But with these Chocolate Chip cookies, I don't feel bad having them around. There is no added in sugar, flour, or butter and it is very quick and easy! I had a couple of friends over to help and it only took us about 20 minutes to make them and bake them. I came home to California to visit my family and friends over the holidays, so what better way to start the season off right than baking?

Here's the link to the recipe:
http://www.jennycraig.com/tools/recipes/details/30/result

However, I would make a few changes to the recipe. The dough is very gooey after mixing all the ingredients together, so it is impossible to make a thumbprint in it for the jelly. I actually baked the cookies first then made a thumbprint and added the jelly at the end. Also, I actually would almost like the recipe more without the jelly, so you can bake them with or without it. . . they would be delicious either way! When I made it, I just grabbed the Betty Crocker Chocolate Chip Mix and Quaker Whole Wheat Oats (uncooked) and then all you need is 1 egg, water, vanilla and strawberry jam (if desired). So easy with minimal ingredients! Definitely worth a try!



Nutrition Facts:
(Serving Size- 1 cookie)
Calories: 54
Carbohydrates: 8.8g
Protein: 0.6g
Fat: 1.8g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Sodium: 28 mg

MY HINTS:
During the holidays eating healthy can be very difficult. Instead of making the usual sugary, fattening cookies for Santa, I would try to find a lighter recipe online or look at the Jenny Craig options. Don't make cookies you shouldn't eat! If you find a lighter recipe, then you don't have to feel guilty about an occasional sweet treat. Bring them to holiday parties so you won't feel deprived from other sweets and eat one of these instead! When trying to find a good recipe look for: low sugar, low carb, low fat, and low calorie. Find a recipe that uses minimal butter and sugar, if any. You can also substitute Truvia or Splenda alternative sweeteners for sugar and applesauce for oil. I also found this website that looked like it had some great options:
http://www.tasteofhome.com/Healthy-Cooking-Magazine/Our-Favorite-Healthy-Christmas-Cookies











No comments:

Post a Comment