Saturday, January 5, 2013

Back from Vegas - success story



Just got back from Vegas yesterday! This was the first time I have gone since I have been 21! I went with three of my best friends in the entire world and we truly had the best time. We really only had about one full day there and two nights, but the limited time did not stop us from having fun. We stayed in the new part of the Flamingo and wandered around the strip. We saw the shark exhibit at Mandalay Bay which was completely worth the $18! There was so much to see! But being 21, it is ALL about the night life. . . we went to Surrender- the club in the Wynn and TAO- the club in the Venetian. I think the hardest part about Vegas is all the drinks! Drinking wise. . . I did not make the healthiest choices. I mean when I went to Margaritaville, I had to get a Margarita and of course I had to get a Fat Tuesday. From the name alone, you know it can't be good for you! If you do not know what a Fat Tuesday is, it is those giant, long drinks you see people walking around with on the strip. I got Strawberry Pina Colada! It was good, but extremely sugary. I could just feel the sugar on my teeth and sitting in my stomach, but I had to try it. It's all part of the experience, right? Now I can honestly say, I never need to have it again. At the clubs I mostly just stuck to gin and tonics, but I made sure to have water between most of my drinks. Honestly, water really helps; not to mention I was not hungover.



So I realize I did not do well with the drinking aspect, but with food I was golden!
-The first night for dinner I had Chicken Lettuce Wraps at the Cafe in the Flamingo. I barely used the Thai sauce they bring with it and only had about 1/2-2/3 of the portion of chicken.
-The next day I did not have breakfast because we all slept in, so for lunch we went to the famous Margaritaville attached to the Flamingo! I ordered a Portobello Mushroom Sandwich and substituted my fries for a small caesar with the dressing on the side. I did not eat the croutons or the extra parmesan cheese on the salad. The caesar was a good side portion.  I took off half the bread and cheese on the sandwich, but ate the whole mushroom! I have always loved portobello mushrooms and it was delicious!
-For dinner we went the Grand Lux Cafe in the Venetian. I ordered a delicious Ahi Tuna Salad with the balsamic dressing on the side. I had one piece of bread from the table since I knew I would be drinking. But the salad was perfect! It came with ginger (great for the digestive system!) and ahi tuna and mixed greens. Really healthy meal and it was so yummy. Actually 2 of my friends ordered the same thing!
-At night I had my Jenny Craig cheese curls
-The last day we went to the buffet in the Flamingo and I know buffets can be hard, but I think I handled it pretty well. I got a little eggs (probably not even 1 cup), wheat toast, 1 slice of lox, 1 turkey sausage, and honeydew melon.

That was all I ate the entire time I was in Vegas. Now that I am writing this out, I really could have had more fruit, but I know it can be difficult when you are busy all day.

Today I weighed in at Jenny Craig and I was actually down almost a pound (.8)! So you can go on vacation and lose weight! I'm just glad I had my eating under control because I'm sure with all the drinking my weight would have been up and I had to fit into those tight dresses!



MY HINTS:
1. When on vacation, take your own snacks 
2. Try and do a lot of walking around (We did some walking, but it was cold!) 
3. Cut the portion size of your food (probably about 1/2 the serving) 
4. Try and stay away from anything with a lot of cheese, bread, or cream sauces
5. Get in your veggies and fruit
6. Drink lots of water
7. Try and stay busy, if you're busy, you won't have time to snack


Here are additional tips on how to eat healthy when on vacation:
http://traveltips.usatoday.com/eat-healthy-during-vacation-1747.html


No comments:

Post a Comment