Thursday, November 29, 2012

Veggies - the healthy choice


When I went to make dinner tonight, I realized that my refrigerator was empty! I had no fruits, no vegetables, nothing for me to add to my Jenny Craig chicken fajitas! I grabbed my roommate and we made a quick grocery store run. I like to buy an array of fruits and vegetables. If you were to look into my fridge now, you would find: zucchini, squash, asparagus, onions, mushrooms, red bell peppers, grapes, apples, kiwis, and persimmons (My roommate just introduced this bright orange fruit to me. It looks kind of like an orange tomato and has a tough skin and sweet inside. It probably would taste good in a salad and would add a little crunch.) I like to keep these constantly around the house. I find it helpful not to have anything in my apartment to satisfy my guilty pleasure such as chips. I could eat a whole bag, but I know if I have them around, I will never stop.
Anyway, I mentioned in my first blog how vegetables are a staple in my diet. Tonight I sprayed a little Pam (it's healthier than oil) and added chopped up red bell pepper, squash, and asparagus. I used just a pinch of salt and pepper and a tablespoon of lemon garlic marinade from Sprouts to add some flavor. I love this marinade, but you do just need very little to cut back on the sodium. It took me awhile to experiment with vegetables. I used to grill up zucchini when I first started to lose weight, but now I try to get more colors and flavors so I don't get bored. And I make a lot, a whole bowl full! I can have as many "free" vegetables I want and I don't get hungry.

HINTS W/ VEGGIES: 
Make a salad with your lunch if you're still hungry. Instead of using ranch or high calorie dressings, use balsamic vinegar. My personal favorite is from William Sonoma, 25-yr old aged Balsamic Vinegar. This is a little pricey though....it's about $30 for a wine bottle size. It's on the sweet side, but I could lick my plate. Also try just a little vinaigrette or squeeze some lemon. You can put as many "free" veggies on there, in other words, corn or avocado is good in moderation, but don't overload. Also try cutting back on the starchy vegetables such as peas and potatoes and incorporate spinach and kale for a good substitute. I personally like grilling up some onions, putting a little jicama, mushrooms, 3 oz of chicken for protein (a deck of cards size), and some balsamic. It's quick and easy. 

Here is a link to Do's and Don'ts for Salad: 


According to The Journal of Nutrition, "Americans are consuming more fruits and vegetables, but they are not regularly consuming the particular fruits and vegetables that are likely to impart robust health effects. Both epidemiological studies and experimental research indicate that regular consumption of dark greens and cruciferous vegetables and citrus fruits reduces risk for chronic disease"(3066).


My vegetables for the night (sorry I am not a professional photographer)!


No comments:

Post a Comment