Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Healthy Egg McMuffin and Milk - what's the difference?

I was happy to get on the scale this morning when I realized I had lost another pound.....41 pounds done! I reached my halfway point on Jenny Craig a few weeks ago, so I can now make a few meals a week on my own. This morning I woke up and decided I wanted to make one of my personal favorites, my take on a healthy Egg McMuffin. It always makes me happy when I can make my own food instead of eating pre-made, frozen food.

All you need is:

1 wheat bagel thin
1 egg
1 tbsp reduced fat or fat free shredded cheese (I used mozzarella)
spinach
mushrooms





















Being a college student, I need to be able to make a breakfast that is quick and easy before I go to class. I have this awesome pottery that makes a poached egg. I got it as a gift and I'm not sure where you can get it, but if you happen to stumble across one all you need to do is add very little water (really just a dribble) crack the egg in it, cover it, and microwave it. Every microwave is different, so I put mine in for 40 seconds. Really quick and easy! I toasted my bagel thin, put the cheese in the pottery when my egg was done which made it melt, grilled up some mushrooms and spinach then built my healthy Egg McMuffin. I added a kiwi and made a well balance meal: carbs, veggies, fruit, and protein.

Many people will drink milk with their breakfast. When I came back from class, my vegan roommate and I were trying to find the difference in health benefits between Almond Milk and Coconut Milk. Does anyone know? I have discovered my new addiction for Almond Milk even though I'm not vegan or lactose intolerant. I find it really creamy and nonfat milk does not give me that satisfaction.

I did some research on the differences in milk and this is what I found:
http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/substitutions-for-milk.html#b

Basically, Almond milk is lower in fat than soy milk and is creamier than nonfat milk....exactly what I thought! Coconut milk is higher in fat and calories according to this article, so it is not recommended for dieters. I found this weird because I have both of those in my fridge and from looking at the nutrition facts from the Silk PureAlmond and Silk PureCoconut, I found no extreme difference in fat and calories. It probably depends on the brand.



No comments:

Post a Comment